The University of South Carolina School of Music transforms lives through excellence in music teaching, performance, creative activities, research, and service. Toward these ends, the school endeavors to meet five tenets:
* prepare musicians for professional careers and leadership in music teaching, performance, composition, research, and related fields
* serve as a cultural and educational center of excellence for the State of South Carolina and the nation
* generate research and other creative activities in music that have local, national, and international impact
* provide meaningful music experiences for all University students through courses designed to foster an awareness of the role of music in society
* enhance the University of South Carolina’s commitment to become one of the finest public universities in America
The University of South Carolina School of Music has established a national reputation for artistic and scholarly excellence. An acclaimed faculty teach more than 500 undergraduate and graduate music majors, including students specializing in virtually every orchestra and band instrument, voice, piano, organ and guitar.